Blogger Templates by Blogcrowds

Gunners chase Downing

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Arsenal chief Arsene Wenger has apparently today made an astonishing £18 million bid for Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing. Downing has been with a move away from Villa Park after a rather sluggish season from Villa.

Villa have already lost a key player in Ashley Young, and will be keen to hold to Downing. However, such a high bid could tempt them to part with their English born winger. Arsenal have thus far been very quiet in the transfer market, and Arsene Wenger is coming under increasing pressure to make some signings.

However, is Downing the right man for Arsenal? First of all, £18 million is a ridiculous amount to pay for him, that would be more than Man United payed for Ashley Young (a better player), but still less than Liverpool payed for Jordan Henderson if that's any consolation to the Arsenal faithful. Personally I don't think Downing is good enough for Arsenal and if anything, he is not needed

2 comments:

  1. PokerFiend said...

    How many millions again?! Get me in touch with the manager and I'll get him 20 of my friends play for them for lifetime at half that price ;)

    July 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

  2. Throwback Football Jerseys said...

    I love to follow football (what we call soccer in the US), but ESPN in the states doesn't televise it nearly enough. Usually late at night. I have been watching it more lately and starting to get the rules down. I think I'm going to expand my tv package to get more football to watch. Very interesting site. I love learning more about this sport. Thanks.

    July 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment